Image Map

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

"O, Captain! My Captain!"

Is it normal to be brought to tears when you find out someone you have never met passed away? I have never been one to be seriously upset by the passing of a celebrity. I usually feel for their family and say a prayer for peace. It was different last night. It felt like a huge part of my childhood all of the sudden was gone. One of those parts that I have always so desperately hung on to. I still watch Hook religiously to this day. 

Source
Robin Williams's passing brought on some other memories of mine. My dad and I used to watch Mrs. Doubtfire whenever I was visiting him growing up. He always managed to make me cackle in that movie. Cackle, not just laugh. 

Source
I have grown  hyper sensitive to the dangers of fame and depression in Hollywood. My family has seen first hand what it can do to a person. I know it's hard to imagine a person who seems to have everything as someone you should ever feel sad for. It's not easy. It's not easy to watch your aunt slowly slip from this earth and go to the hospital to see her only to be bombarded for autographs. It's not easy for the National Enquirer to show up at your elderly father's home to fish for a story about something that happened before you were even born. I know this because I've watched my cousin deal with this for years. Very professionally, I might add. It's a very lonely place and you only have a few people you can truly trust. It is very easy to start battling the demons of depression.

I say all this to say, that on matter who you are. No matter where you live. You. Are. Loved. Please ask for help if you need it. Depression is a very serious problem and disease and you deserve all of the help in the world. You deserve to be heard.

Robin Williams is a man that will be remembered for generations. I no longer think it will be just because of his hugely successful career. The amount of stories that have come out about him helping others just to make them laugh and see them smile are growing into the hundreds. He loved to make people feel better. He loved to see someone smile no matter how bad their situation was. Shouldn't that be something we all strive for?

Source
"No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world." Dead Poets Society

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from those of you that stop by. So leave a comment and let me know what you think. I respond to comments via e-mail. If you have your profile set up to no-reply then I can't send you a reply and that makes me sad because I love comments! They make me giddy and sometimes make my day :)