Image Map

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Wanderlust Part 2

I love living in the city I grew up in. I have my favorite places to eat, favorite shops and know the back roads as well as the freckles on the back of my hand (there's a lot of those). Every once-in-awhile I get wanderlust for places I have been or lived before. Today and right now? I am wanderlust for DC. 


Living there for the summer of 2009 was hands down the best experience. I love history and I love America. Perfect combo.


I made some of my best friends that summer. We discovered the places we loved most- Eastern Market, weekend excursions to Annapolis, going to Georgetown to eat BBQ and get sweet tea, our weekly trips to Five Guys, etc. The summer of 2009 was by far the best summer of my life.


I loved every thing about being on The Hill every day. Everything. I loved learning about the way our country is run and what goes into actually making a bill and then getting people to support it. My most favorite part was giving tours of The Capitol. I was one of two interns in our office that got to do it and I will never regret signing up for that job. 


I loved being able to sit in on Senate meetings and do something so simple like take minutes for the senator. I loved just being able to walk to the rotunda and sit in awe whenever I wanted. I even loved the stupid little Willy Wonka train that ran from the Senate buildings to the Capitol to the House Buildings.


I will never forget how sad I was when I realized our summer was over. When I realized that our last self-guided tour of the Capitol was really our last one.


But no worries!! I get to cure my wanderlust next month. I cannot wait to go back to one of my favorite places on earth and reunite with one of my BFFs from college. I can't wait to show Pat around and show him my favorite places and favorite treats (what up, toasted marshmallow milkshake!!). 


The only thing I'll be missing are my two amigos to complete the Three Amigos of DC.  Oh, and that dang red badge that would allow me to go to the rotunda when ever I wanted. I'm really going to miss that.

Hurry up, July!! I can't wait to get back to DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from those of you that stop by. So leave a comment and let me know what you think. I respond to comments via e-mail. If you have your profile set up to no-reply then I can't send you a reply and that makes me sad because I love comments! They make me giddy and sometimes make my day :)