Image Map

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Giving a lot; receiving very little

*If you don't read this then please watch the video at the end. The lesson in that video is one that we should all carry with us every day.*

You know the old saying, "It is better to give then it is to receive"

I am repeating that in my head constantly these days. For a few years now I have felt like I have constantly given a lot of myself to friends and others around me without receiving a lot from them. 

This was something I especially struggled with during our engagement. I was so used to seeing so many couples from my college years have 10+ showers thrown for them throughout their engagement. That is not an exaggeration, I promise. Going from seeing people get 10+ showers to having an engagement party and one shower for yourself was a hard pill for me to swallow. 

1- I am never allowed to cut my hair that short again; 2- The earrings are gone. For good. Praise!

I should have never been upset about something like not having a lot showers. That is not the point of the engagement season by any means. I am just putting myself out there and showing that I know I have a lot to work on.

 With that being said, I am still struggling greatly with being the friend who people depend on for certain things. I love being able to help friends, but then I'll make plans for things down the road and get ditched for something better with other friends who don't care nearly as much. I start to get resentful, and then I start to not care about celebrating them in their exciting time. Geez. Could I sound anymore sinful or terrible?

I have been going through all of this over and over in my head all week. It's a constant prayer. Kind of like my constant prayer for patience as I drive home in rush hour every night, haha.

 Then I get on Facebook last night and see people posting the story of Katherine and her new car all over the place. I got curious and watched. I was immediately humbled.

 Y'all, it so better to give then it is to receive. The blessings of selflessly giving something of yourself to another is repaid in a more important way. Giving so selflessly to another allows them to see Christ in you and isn't that what we should be striving for every day? I pray that I will continue to keep the story of Katherine in the forefront of my mind as I get frustrated with people in my every day life. I pray that I can give as selflessly as she did and probably still does. I pray that I can bless others through giving and that they can see Christ in me. I pray that all the resentment that is currently in me is taken away. Will you pray all of these things for me?

Here is the story of Katherine. I really encourage you to watch it. The wisdom that is in her lesson is something that we all need to hear and carry with us every day.


Read about her here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from those of you that stop by. So leave a comment and let me know what you think. I respond to comments via e-mail. If you have your profile set up to no-reply then I can't send you a reply and that makes me sad because I love comments! They make me giddy and sometimes make my day :)