Image Map

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Throwback Thursday: Super Bulldog Weekend

If you can't tell by now, I loved my college and every thing about it. Still do. There has always been something about Mississippi State that has drawn me to it my whole life. My mom went there and my grandparents lived in Starkville almost my whole life. My grandmother didn't move away till my Junior year of college and we still give her (lovingly) crap about moving away. No free place to crash at now ;)

There are two big weekends every year. One is in the fall and the other is in the spring. One is built around football and the other is built around baseball. This weekend is Super Bulldog Weekend and it is all about baseball. I love it and my heart is aching that I am not there. It was always one of my favorite weekends in college. I loved attending our baseball games and hanging out in Left Field Lounge. I loved all the crawfish boils that popped up around campus and I loved how all the fraternity houses transformed into their own little hideaways for the weekend.

Many of you probably don't know a lot about Mississippi State besides the fact that it's a cow school. State is very well known for it's baseball program and is continually ranked as one of the top place to watch college baseball. We hold all of the Top 10 attendance records for a college baseball game. How could you not want to be in the middle of all of this- 

Source
\
Source
Walk around Left Field Lounge and I can guarantee you you will leave just as full as you are on Thanksgiving Day. Some of the best food in the world is cooked out there on those grills. There really is no place like it.

Now for some throwbacks-


Woof! We are such babies in this picture. Our Freshmen year of college and our first SBW. Now I'm going to go cry that this picture was taken about 7 years ago. Also, why doesn't my hair curl naturally like that anymore?!


Pretty sure this was my junior year of college. I always seemed to have a million guy friends. Maybe because I'm addicted to sports, and I only have a couple girl friends who can stand to watch a whole series of baseball or stay at a whole football game with me. SO, I was usually stuck with the guys :)


Senior year and extremely early to a game. I miss going to these games and getting the best views by hanging out in Left Field Lounge. 

John Grisham (who attended State) has written about Dudy Noble and the magical place that it is. You can find the full article that he wrote on it, here. Here's just a couple excerpts of that article on one of my most favorite places on earth-
"The older I become, the more I find myself drawn back to Dudy Noble. There are many reasons. It's great baseball played by very talented kids. The game is pure and uncorrupted by money. The place is filled with memories, both of my college days and of the great games and moments since then. It's a wonderful place to unwind. The mood is festive. Time is meaningless. The game is played without a clock. There are no telephones in Left Field. Deadlines are more distant. Appointments seem insignificant.   Regardless of wins and losses, I always feel better when I leave Dudy Noble than when I arrive. There are few places of which this can be said."

"I wish I had played there, too, but I never came close. And so I return year after year to watch the best of college baseball, to see old friends and make new ones, to cook and eat, to see the show. There may be larger parks, but not larger crowds. There may be prettier parks, but I doubt it. Dudy Noble is college baseball at its absolute finest."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from those of you that stop by. So leave a comment and let me know what you think. I respond to comments via e-mail. If you have your profile set up to no-reply then I can't send you a reply and that makes me sad because I love comments! They make me giddy and sometimes make my day :)