Image Map

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

R(ead) A(ll) D(ay)

Does anyone else remember RAD from elementary school or was my elementary school the only one who participated in this?

If you don't know what RAD is, it is literally a day where you spend the whole day reading. This was easily my favorite day of the school year, every year. I kid you not, I was the kid who brought a duffel bag full (because I was definitely going to read that much...) of books and my sleeping bag/pillow to post up for a day full of reading.

I would give just about anything to have a day like that again. I'm almost 100% positive I would be that "adult" at work that would show up with a bag full of books. I would probably skip out on the sleeping bag and pillow because that would just be awkward at an office.

I say all that to set a new goal for myself. I want to get back to reading like I used to. I used to be the person who would always have a book they were reading. I was never far from a new book I was reading, and I would most likely be done with that book within a day or two.

Now I know it's not "green" or whatever, but I'm a traditionalist. I prefer a physical book and not a copy on an e-reader. I honestly am so sad that book stores are closing, and I'm so sad that my kids won't experience the joy of going to one and combing through the shelves to find a few books to bring home.

I still need to finish the 4th book of Game of Thrones and then the rest of the books that have been completed. After I finish those books the Divergent series is the next on my list. Do you have any suggestions for a good book? I really love just about every kind of book. I'm a sucker for a good romance novel, I adore history (probably a little too much), I love mysteries, I love religious books... I think you get the picture :)

Here are some of my favorites-


I was one of those people who was out standing in line for the midnight release of the books. I would stay up till 3-4 in the morning reading as much as I could and then I would wake up the next morning and be done with the book by that night. I think I could read the whole series over and over again and find something new in each book, each time. I cannot get enough.


Redeeming Love, oh.my.goodness. I had been hearing for a couple years that I needed to read this book and for some reason I decided that finals week my 4th year of college would be a great time to read it. I stayed up all night the night before my French final and read every single page of the book. I love Francine Rivers' take on an old Bible story and making it so relatable to women (and men!) everywhere. The story from the book of Hosea is one that many aren't taught growing up, but it is one of the most important things that a child of God can learn. If you read any book on this list, I really encourage you to read this one. It can truly be life changing.


If you read any other books on this list after Redeeming Love, pick up Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion series. She tells such a beautiful story of what it was like for Christians during the time of the Roman Empire and really makes it come alive. I couldn't put these books down either, and I am always recommending them to others.


I did not read this book by choice (it was for a paper my Senior year of high school), but I have found myself reading it over and over again. I mentioned that I love history, but I guess I should have been more specific. World War II history fascinates me. Both of my grandfathers fought in the war (along with many other family members), and I sat glued to them whenever they told stories. I drank it all in in horror but also with the need to know so something like the Holocaust couldn't happen again. It's sad how quick the human memory fades because it seems that something on that scale seems to happen over and over again. This book combined two of my loves; WWII history and France. Oh how I wish I could have met the Protestant priest and the others in this town who risked it all to save the lives of thousands.

I am going to stop there because I am pretty sure that no one is reading this. Do you have any books that have just drawn you in and seemed to have taken a hold of your heart even after you stopped reading them? I have so many more that come to mind. I would love to hear about your favorites. Leave a comment and give me some recommendations. I am always looking for a book to add to my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from those of you that stop by. So leave a comment and let me know what you think. I respond to comments via e-mail. If you have your profile set up to no-reply then I can't send you a reply and that makes me sad because I love comments! They make me giddy and sometimes make my day :)