Image Map

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mississippi

I am asking that you please pray for a place that is near and dear to my heart. It's my other home, the place I was living when I really came to know Christ, a place I spent my childhood summers, where I went to college, and where I met some of the best friends a girl could ever ask for.


Mississippi is a place that is greatly misunderstood. It's the butt of just about everyone's jokes. It's a place that people make fun of and then they visit. Then they fall in love with the mysterious state. The people are some of the most wonderful you will ever meet, the food is some of the best in the world, the Blues are from there, and Rock n Roll exists because of one of it's most famous locals.


This magical place was devestated by the worst tornado outbreak that has ever occurred in the state. Louisville, MS was hit my a tornado two different times alone. Yazoo City, Tupelo, Jackson, Brandon, and Columbus were all also hit. I know people who consider each of those places their home towns. My mom included. Some who have found out that their parent's homes were in the line of the tornado. I sat on my couch all night sending constant updates to a friend of mine who was riding out the storm in Brandon. 

As much as Mississippi is hurting right now I am constantly reminded by how good her people are and how they always rise above any obstacle put in their path. Because of this massive line of storms I picked up the phone and called two friends who I haven't spoken with in way too long. Neither of them live in Columbus anymore but both of their families still there. It was so good to talk to my old friends, and I learned the valuable lesson to not only talk to people in the midst of something terrible. Call, text, write, Snapchat, whatever just because and whenever. I was also reminded once again that in Mississippi; when things get bad, we get good.


To understand the world, you must first understand a place like Mississippi. – William Faulkner

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from those of you that stop by. So leave a comment and let me know what you think. I respond to comments via e-mail. If you have your profile set up to no-reply then I can't send you a reply and that makes me sad because I love comments! They make me giddy and sometimes make my day :)