Image Map

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Southern Green Beans

This is the recipe I grew up on and the green beans that I compare all other green beans to. My momma is a master Southern cook and this is a recipe I learned from her. It's one of the first side dishes I ever made for Pat and I when we first lived together and he was amazed. The man who used to hate all things green begs for these green beans. Get ready because this recipe is super hard. Not really, but I have to make it sound like I can cook above the equivalent of a 4th grade reading level.

Ingredients
Green Beans
Bacon
Salt
Pepper

First you're going to need to snap your beans. Below is  a picture of my method for snapping beans. It's super efficient and makes little to no mess.


Once you're done snapping your beans you will need to soak them for a couple hours. I have no idea what this is for but momma has always done this and dangit her beans are always drool worthy. If it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Next drain the bean and then put them in the pot you'll be cooking them in. Fill that sucker up with a lot of water. The water will cook down during the cooking process so you will want plenty in there. After you have filled the pot with water add in at least 2-3 strips of bacon. Next you are going to add in enough salt for your sodium in take for a month. I'm kidding, but you will need more then you are comfortable with in order to season the water just right. You will also need to add almost as much pepper.  

Cover the pot and turn the stove up to medium high heat. Let your green beans cook down for at least two hours. You will need to keep an eye on them to make sure all of the water doesn't cook out. If the water gets low, just add some more. After two hours your beans are done! Warning: your house will smell heavenly.


This is one the side dishes I ask for for my birthday dinner every year. I hope y'all enjoy these as much as I have my whole life. 

Bon appétit, y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love hearing from those of you that stop by. So leave a comment and let me know what you think. I respond to comments via e-mail. If you have your profile set up to no-reply then I can't send you a reply and that makes me sad because I love comments! They make me giddy and sometimes make my day :)